My friend Judy made this as one of many dishes for our Thanksgiving potluck. It was pretty popular. She’s making it again for her own Thanksgiving and had requests for the recipe. So I thought maybe I’d give it a try for dinner tonight, since I have several other things planned for tomorrow.
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
1 can corn, drained
1 can cream-style corn (with liquid)
1/3 cup olive oil (any oil or margarine will do)
1 cup vegan tofu sour cream (I make this with blended silken tofu and vinegar and sweetener to taste.)
2-3 tablespoon dried minced onions
1/3 cup water with 1½ teaspoon Ener-G Egg Replacer, whisked
8 oz. corn bread mix (many store-brand mixes are vegan, just check labels. Also, I can only find 6 oz. bags of mix, so I just approximate 1 and 1/3 bag mix.)
Mix all ingredients except vegan corn bread mix, add that last. Spread into well-oiled 9×13 inch pan. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. This will be somewhat moist.
This recipe is very simple and sounds perhaps a little unimpressive, but it wows the carnivorous relatives at family gatherings every time.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
(Judy adds: “I used flax seeds mixed with water instead of the eqq replacer but I’m sure it works well either way.”)
The end result: I made several substitutions and guessed on some amounts, so mine turned out like moist cornbread (sorry no pic, but it looked like, well, a pan of cornbread). It was warm and comforting, but had a firmer texture and was not as tasty as Judy’s. Kind of funny because the last couple of times I tried to make actual cornbread, it turned out too dry. The next time I want to make cornbread, I might duplicate tonight’s effort.
- Frozen corn – about a can’s worth
- A can of frozen corn about ¾ full of corn, topped off with almond milk
- Onion and garlic powder instead of dried onions
- Ground flax plus water for egg replacer, then added extra water
- Made my own cornbread mix from whole wheat pastry flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, vegetable shortening, and cornmeal. Then had to guesstimate what would be 8 oz.
- I ended up putting probably ½ cup extra vegan sour cream in because I wanted to use up the batch I had made. Then I put in more cornbread mix—next time I’ll purposefully leave it more liquidy.