Fail: scones, nanowrimo

Standard

Pretty tired after two nights in a row at the station working on our Nov 8 show. Also, have done zero NaNoWriMo yesterday or today. I really thought I was going to get a great start. But, weekends are for catching up, right?

I had an impressive baking fail today. I tried to make the scone recipe off the back of the Bob’s Red Mill millet flour package. I thought it would be easy to veganize. I used chickpea flour and water for egg replacer (even though it said egg whites), and I subbed ½ the white flour with white whole wheat flour. I’m not sure what happened, but the dough wouldn’t stick together well, the scones turned out flat, and they had this weird aftertaste, which I think is from the chickpea flour. I’ve made similar types of substitutions before, and have had success, but not today. Even Ruby didn’t want the scones. Also, it seems that whenever the weather changes (it’s finally turned winter and we had our first snow flurries today), my oven temperature has to be adjusted—the oven seemed to be running about 25 degree hot today, according to the thermometer. The bread loaf I baked after the scones was a little off too—it browned too quickly.

Advertisements

One response

  1. Pingback: Vegan Millet Scones « Beezelbarb