Read more about my Light Box month.
from Light Boxes, by Shane Jones
Short List Found in February’s Back Pocket
- I’ve done everything I can.
- I need to know you won’t leave.
- I wrote a story to show love, and it turned to war. How awful.
- I twisted myself around stars and poked the moon where the moon couldn’t reach.
- I’m the kind of person who kidnaps children and takes flight.
List Found in February’s Cottage Detailing Possible Cures for February
- Valerian root and vitamin C tablets taken in the dark.
- Yoga and meditation.
- The melting of snow in children’s palms.
- Light boxes?
- Hot bath taken with mint extract.
- Touching the moon in places the moon doesn’t know exist.
- Consumption of St. John’s wort.
- Feeding the garden inside.
- Giving Bianca back.
- Twisting your fears into desires.
- Mood diary.
- Hydrating the body.
- Paying attention to the girl who smells of honey and smoke.
List of Artists Who Created Fantasy Worlds to Try and Cure Bouts of Sadness
- Italo Calvino
- Garbriel García Márquez
- Jim Henson and Jorge Luis Borges—Labyrinths
- The creator of MySpace
- Richard Brautigan
- J.K. Rowling
- The inventor of the children’s toy Lite-Brite
- Ann Sexton
- David Foster Wallace
- Gauguin and the Caribbean
- Charles Schulz
- Liam Rector
Note Found in February’s Pocket by the Girl Who Smells of Honey and Smoke
I wanted to write you a story about magic. I wanted rabbits appearing from hats. I wanted balloons lifting you into the sky. It turned out to be nothing but sadness, war, heartbreak. You never saw it, but there’s a garden inside me.