Goal progress: In bed by somewhere around midnight Jan 6, Up at 8:00 a.m. Jan 7.
Weekly goal recap: Goal – Go to bed by 10 p.m., get up by 6:30 a.m. every weekday for a month.
- In bed by somewhere around midnight Jan 6, Up at 8:00 a.m. Jan 7.
- In bed by 10:30 p.m. Jan 5, Up at 6:25 a.m. Jan 6.
- In bed by 11:05 p.m. Jan 4, Up at 6:25 a.m. Jan 5.
- In bed by 10:26 p.m. Jan 3, Up at 6:25 a.m. Jan 4.
- In bed by 10:25 p.m. Jan 2, Up at 6:25 a.m. Jan 3.
Weekly goal recap: Goal – Be 15 minutes early for everything for an entire month. This means leaving 1/2 hour early to anything around town.
- Out of 7 appointments, I was on time or early for all except picking up the food for my user group today, and the physical therapy appointment on Tuesday afternoon, for which they fit me in at the last-minute and I didn’t have much prep time for. So I’d say just being more aware of this has been working, and I’ll keep at it.
Today, at the 6:30 alarm, I reset to 7:30, and then to 8:00. Why? Because I could (no early morning appointments or deadlines today). I was already feeling sleep deprived, and I didn’t want to feel like I was dragging all day today, like yesterday. And it felt great: that little bit of sleep and waking up in daylight made all the difference. In spite of the weird dreams I had when I went back to sleep, I actually woke up in a positive mood, which is rare for me. And I felt way better throughout the day than I did yesterday. Of course, this meant that I had less time to myself this morning. I did my PT stretches, and a little reading and meditating, but didn’t have time to write, which is one of my daily habits I’m working on. Additionally, I had to rush in order to get things around for my SharePoint User Group, and I was late picking up the food (which was so good, by the way, vegan potato samosas and a vegan brown rice and cranberry dish from Whole Foods.)
So what have I learned from working on my habits this week? That I can get up for four days in a row prior to 6:30 a.m. That when I do, my get-to-sleep time starts to creep back up, in spite of good intentions. That when my sleep time gets later, and I keep getting up at 6:30 a.m., I get sleep deprived and don’t function well.
What does this mean for next week and the rest of the month? I think what might be more reasonable to work on next week, is getting up somewhere between civil twilight and sunrise, which would be about 7:15. That way I’ll be waking up as it gets lighter, and it won’t be too much later than my original goal. I’ll continue to set my alarm for the target, and will continue to work on getting to bed early enough to get 8.5 hours of sleep, which seems to be my minimum for normal function. And the great thing is, as the month goes on, my wake time will be getting earlier.
I’ll still miss those late night bursts of creativity and productivity, and will be tempted to overcompensate on the weekends. We’ll see how it goes.